The Georgia Board of Funeral Service administers the Funeral Service Law for the purpose of better protection of life and health, preventing the spread of contagious, communicable, and infectious diseases, and regulating the practice of embalming and funeral direction, and the care and disposition of dead human bodies.
The Board consists of 7 members appointed by the Governor, six of whom are licensed and practicing funeral directors and embalmers, with one member serving as a consumer representative who has no connection with the funeral service industry. The Board is authorized to prescribe a standard of proficiency as to the qualifications and fitness of embalmers and funeral directors, to revoke or suspend licenses for any violation of this law, to adopt rules and regulations and to set standards of sanitation to be observed in the embalming or cremation of dead human bodies.
Click HERE to be redirected to the Georgia State Board of Funeral Service site.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF A LICENSE HOLDER
What are my responsibilities as a license holder?
Certain personal responsibilities come with becoming a professional license holder in the state of Georgia. Those responsibilities include the following:
1. Renew your license prior to the expiration date of your license. While the Secretary of State’s office sends courtesy reminders via email to license holders, it is ultimately the license holder’s responsibility to know the expiration date of his/her license and to renew that license in a timely manner. Renewing the license includes submitting an online renewal application and answering each renewal application question truthfully, submitting any supporting documentation that may be required, completing any continuing education requirements that may be required, and paying the renewal application fee. The period for renewing your license usually begins within 60-90 days prior to the expiration date of your license. License holders may renew their licenses online via the Board’s website at: Renewal Portal After you submit your renewal application, it is your responsibility to check the status of your renewal online through the My Verification Page . Failure to complete and submit your renewal application by the license expiration date will result in a lapsed license. To reinstate a lapsed license you will have to file a reinstatement application, meet all reinstatement requirements for your profession which may mean additional training and/or testing, and pay the reinstatement fee. Please keep in mind that reinstatement of a license is at the discretion of the Board.
2. If your name changes, please notify the Board. Please be sure to include your name, license number, social security number, your new name, and a copy of the legal documentation granting the name change.
3. Submitting address and/or email address changes. Please be sure to submit your address and email address changes via the online link found here: address change . Failure to keep your address and email address current will result in our inability to send you notifications from the Board. Facility license holders may not submit facility address changes online; please review specific Board requirements regarding changes in facility addresses.
4. Keep current with Georgia laws and Board rules. Georgia laws and Board rules are made available on the Board’s website for your convenience. The General Provisions in Title 43-1 apply to all professional licensing boards and they are available here: General Provisions
According to the sworn statement your initial application and/or renewal application, you agree to become familiar and follow the state laws and board rules governing your profession. Failure on your part to abide by the state laws and board rules may result in disciplinary action being taken against you by the licensing board governing your profession. You may register with the Interested Parties List if you would like to receive email notifications of changes to the board rules governing your profession: Interested Parties Registration.
5. O.C.G.A. § 43-1-27 requires any licensee who is convicted of a felony to notify the appropriate licensing authority of the conviction within ten (10) days of the conviction. Failure to notify the Board of any such conviction shall be considered grounds for revocation of his/ her license, permit, registration, or certification.
renew your license
Renew your license HERE.
ORDER VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE ONLINE
Do you need to order verification of your Georgia professional license to reciprocate or endorse your license to another state? You may now order your verification online at Order Verification. Enter your User ID and Password to begin the process. If you do not have a User ID and Password, you may create one following the prompts.
ONLINE LICENSURE APPLICATIONS
The Professional Licensing Boards is pleased to announce that you may now apply online for many licenses. This improvement allows for faster turnaround times on application acceptance and licensure. We are rapidly working on making as many as possible available online. Please check the list below to see if your license type is currently available. This list will be updated as new license types are added, so make sure to check back often.
Check the Status of Your License Application
Check the Status of Your License Application HERE.
Print a Pocket Card HERE.
ADDRESS & EMAIL UPDATES
Address & Email updates may be done HERE.
Search for a Professional Licensee
Visit HERE for Professional Licensure Search.
EDUCATION & EXAMS
PSI administers the examinations for the Board. Once the Board approves you to take the appropriate examination, PSI will notify you by mail of your eligibility for the examination and provide information on how to register online for the examination. Please contact PSI for more information regarding the examination dates and times. The PSI website is http://candidate.psiexams.com.
APPLICATION / dOWNLOAD FORMS
Visit HERE for forms which can be downloaded.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Frequently asked questions may be found HERE.
Common questions may be found HERE.
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA
Rules and Regulations of the State of Georgia may be found HERE.
TITLE 43. PROFESSIONS AND BUSINESSESCHAPTER 18. FUNERAL DIRECTORS AND ESTABLISHMENTS, EMBALMERS,AND CREMATORIES may be found HERE.
FUNERAL DIRECTORS & EMBALMERS PROPOSED RULES
Funeral Directors & Embalmers Proposed Rules may be found HERE.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSING BOARDS